This week I've been a stay at home mom and a working mom. Little Adam has been sick this week (see picture to the left) so I've been staying home with him while I work the busiest work week I've had in a long time. It's Wednesday and I've already put in about 35 hours for work (15 today alone) all while I've suctioned who knows how many boogers out of my sons nose - so it's a healthy balance! And now to top it all off - I am sick now too! Let me re-cap my day ... my day started at 4:30 AM with a screaming baby ... so a bottle - a few rounds with the snot sucker - and then back to sleep ... but not so much back to sleep for me because today is the last day of the month and at work that means the busiest day of the month so off to work I go ... which this week just means I need to go downstairs :-) With Ashleigh's off to school at 7:00 and Travis off to work at 9:00 it's just me, Adam, hundreds of emails
and dozens of phone calls! By 12:30 I am quite certain I am going to go crazy so I call my neighbor who, as always, saves the day and takes Adam for a couple of hours so I can get some work done ... THANKS JESSI! Then Ashleigh comes home at 2:45 PM and I get Adam around 3:30 PM and then I try to juggle two kids and work ... this is where the fun really begins! I anxiously count down the hours until Travis gets home when I get a call from him saying that there is a gas leak near his office and traffic is horrible so he is going to turn around and go back to the office until it clears up. At 8:00 PM Travis still isn't home and I finally have a break from work while I wait for email replies so I head to the grocery store - both kids in tow (see Adam all bundled up to the left)! I get my groceries, swing through Chick-Fil-A for some dinner for everyone and home again! I put the groceries away and then eat while I finish my work stuff then get the kids in bed and now I am typing my blog while Ashleigh is getting ready for bed, Travis is doing our taxes and Adam is watching the chandelier lights! So the question is ... Working Mom or Stay At Home Mom - Can You Do Both? For me the answer is no! While I am surviving this week I am not happy. I have had no time for myself and I am constantly busy from the time I wake up till the time I go to bed. Today (for a split second) I actually missed the two hours of commute time I normally get when I go work because it's the only time in my day someone doesn't need something from me. Of course I have a wonderful daughter who has been a huge help to me and a wonderful husband who helps when he can and even a wonderful boss who understands the baby screaming in the background during our morning conference calls! Without these wonderful people I would be a wreck but with the help of these people I think I will manage to get through the week. All of this being said I've often wondered if I could find a job that I could do from home and be a working mom and a stay at home mom. I now know that answer to that question and it's NO ... I can be a working mom who loves her family and loves her home but takes a break 5 days a week and goes to an office with grown up people who don't spit up on me and who are all potty trained :-)
Aside from work I should mention that I completely forgot how much work a sick baby is - especially when your sick yourself! With the 11 year age gap between Ashleigh and Adam there are a lot of things that I had forgotten about but a sick baby is at the top of the list today! Along with many other things I had forgotten how to use a snot sucker ... last month when Adam had a booger I had to have the Pediatrician show me how to use the bulb syringe again! Adam has been sick since Sunday so I've gotten VERY good at using the snot sucker again but the poor kid is so sick he doesn't even fight me anymore. The only good part about Adam being sick is that he will cuddle with me! Adam is like his dad in a lot of ways and not always good ways ... they both have a scowl that drives me crazy when I don't do something fast enough or the right way and neither of them like to cuddle with me ... unless they are sick ... when they are sick then I can cuddle away!
I didn't get a chance to update my blog yesterday but I do want to mention that yesterday I called Travis around 3 and told him I wasn't feeling well and it would be nice if he came home early. He called at 5 (which is early for him) to say he was on his way home and then when he got here he made dinner! It was so nice ... I sat on the couch with the baby and watched TV while he cooked - it was wonderful!
Well the chandelier is losing it's appeal for Adam so I better sign off and get him to bed so I can take a shower and get to bed myself. We are suppose to get a snow/ice storm tonight - according to Ashleigh there is 90% chance she won't have school tomorrow ... we'll see!!!!
Aside from work I should mention that I completely forgot how much work a sick baby is - especially when your sick yourself! With the 11 year age gap between Ashleigh and Adam there are a lot of things that I had forgotten about but a sick baby is at the top of the list today! Along with many other things I had forgotten how to use a snot sucker ... last month when Adam had a booger I had to have the Pediatrician show me how to use the bulb syringe again! Adam has been sick since Sunday so I've gotten VERY good at using the snot sucker again but the poor kid is so sick he doesn't even fight me anymore. The only good part about Adam being sick is that he will cuddle with me! Adam is like his dad in a lot of ways and not always good ways ... they both have a scowl that drives me crazy when I don't do something fast enough or the right way and neither of them like to cuddle with me ... unless they are sick ... when they are sick then I can cuddle away!
I didn't get a chance to update my blog yesterday but I do want to mention that yesterday I called Travis around 3 and told him I wasn't feeling well and it would be nice if he came home early. He called at 5 (which is early for him) to say he was on his way home and then when he got here he made dinner! It was so nice ... I sat on the couch with the baby and watched TV while he cooked - it was wonderful!
Well the chandelier is losing it's appeal for Adam so I better sign off and get him to bed so I can take a shower and get to bed myself. We are suppose to get a snow/ice storm tonight - according to Ashleigh there is 90% chance she won't have school tomorrow ... we'll see!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment